Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First Goodbyes

November 24th, and still plenty to do!

Good news is that Liv has made it safely to the United Kingdom and has been unpacked and repacked into a new container for the next leg of her journey to the Canaries. She should arrive in La Gomera on December 12th.

With two and a half weeks before I fly to Africa, I've spent the last couple of weeks heading in and out of doctor's offices making sure I'm healthy, sane, and well-medicated enough to row an ocean. I'm pretty sure that I'll have a big enough medical kit to supply a cruise-ship full of people, and there should be no shortage of treatments for blisters, salt sores, and my biggest fear of all -- sea sickness!

I've also gotten my first taste of goodbyes which has made my departure seem like its just around the corner. I better get used to it-- lots more of these to come.

Shout-outs to:
- Everyone who came out to my going-away party in Stamford on November 15th. Was happy to see some old faces I haven't seen in a while, including the Chicago/Colgate crew that came from half way across the country.
- My roommate Melissa who helped with the party planning -- just a warm up for the one in Antigua, right?
- Donna at Wilderness Medical Systems who is setting me up with a very well thought-out medical kit at a discount.
- Dr. Rob Udewitz, a sports psychologist who I've met with a couple times in hopes of getting my head around the undeniable mental aspects of this row, and dealing with isolation, extreme stress, and sleep deprivation in a very foreign environment.

1 comment:

KY said...

Hi Paul!! Best of Luck on your row! I would love to keep in touch through your blog and hear about your adventures. Take care of yourself!

Warmest wishes,
Karla and Jon