Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 30

Wow, 30 days at sea! I can't decide if that sounds like a long time or not...either way, the wind made a reappearance today, so I'm hoping for some good mileage numbers for the first time in a while. The day's rowing seemed good, and at the tail end of my evening shift I crossed 29W. Given how long I spent between 28W and 29W (3-4 days?), this is a very welcome but still minor milestone. With that said, 30W is not far off now, and with good winds forecast through the weekend I have a shot at getting there by Sunday night/Monday morning.


A couple things I forgot in yesterday's post -- the first thing I do every morning is put up a hash mark for a completed day and night on the ceiling of the boat, right above my head. Right now I've got five sets of five, and a sixth set with 4 marks...soon to be completed come the morning. Right above the day counts are the words "Steady as we go...", a reminder that no one has rowed an ocean in a day and to not rush things...


Was visited by a seagull today and was surprised that in their natural habitat they actually seem pretty graceful and not annoying at all. Then again, I don't have all that much other entertainment out here, so maybe I have lowered my standards. Anyway, this seagull couldn't have cared less about my presence and for half an hour or so flew around the boat, often hovering within arm's reach of me before diving into the water to grab one of the little fish that must be living under the boat. I watched him for a while and took a few pictures, which may be interesting even though everyone's seen plenty of seagulls picking at french fries in the parking lot at McDonald's...I'll try to get one up tomorrow.


Keely -- great timing on your note, as I spent all morning yesterday dreaming about Panera Bread's breakfast sandwiches. The bacon and sausage ones got equal time, and I concluded that I could easily eat four of them in a sitting if given the chance. For the uninitiated, Panera's breakfast sandwiches are better than any deli -- thick, real bread, a slice of sharp cheddar, real eggs, and a delish spicy sausage patty or bacon...all toasted/grilled to perfection!


Mrs. Scalzo -- I'm admitting defeat on your math problem with the 4's. I like to think that with a pencil and paper I could eventually figure it out, but since I can't write notes while I row I haven't made much progress. How about an easier one?


Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit www.rowforhope.com.


Paul

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Is Panera Bread sponsoring this row or something? Keely, you really need to show that post to your boss and see if you can get some money for Row for Hope from Panera. Paul's description makes me want to run out right now and get a breakfast sandwich!

Nice rowing buddy. Passing 30 will be a great milestone. I'll be refreshing the GPS tracker a ton watching your march to 30W!

Unknown said...

can i please just state how refreshing it is that you actually used the correct expression, "couldn't care less," instead of the common but entirely wrong "could care less." an ocean rower and a scholar to boot! watch out ladies!

congrats on day 30. i'll also share my favorite quote from roger bannister... a little cheesy but fairly applicable to your journey:

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves. The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."

Carol Strano said...

Paul,
Just wanted you to know that Vestal Middle School is donating $100 from dress down day today to row for hope. Keep rowing!
Carol Strano
CTK member

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
I am a person who finds little beauty in seagulls since I was pooped on by one at the beach :) My family, niece, nephew and sister-in-law and brother-in-law got quite a laugh out of it. I wanted to scrub my arm with a Brillo pad. I guess this means my advice is to always keep one eye on the seagulls that are within striking range. I hope this little note added some laughter to your day!
Also the Vestal Hills Elementary staff collected $100 from their dress down dollars for your row. Enjoy your weekend! Love, Marlene

Unknown said...

30 days! Milestone achieved! Keep going...

Anonymous said...

I went to McDonalds today to get a breakfast sandwich but they wouldnt let me in because this man told me that i cant smoke my pipe inside so i talked through the drive through and they wouldnt serve me because i wasnt in a drive so i know how it feels to be hungry i recommend just to keep moving it takes away the hunger

flinner

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy - Day 30 - HUGE as the car guy would say. That sounds so much farther along than Day 22 or 26. Quiet pre-SuperBowl day here today. Doing clean-up from a little soiree last night - I hesitate to call it A Spread, but one guest who is a caterer said I 'knocked it out of the park' - nice. Guests were Presbyterian Nursery School teachers - you got added to a bunch of prayer lists - always a good thing. But, not to worry, it was all just practice for your Homecoming Party - we're counting the days too. May the winds be at your back - or do you want them at your front? xxoo -

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ridley,

I wanted to take this time to talk to you about your obsession with my breakfast samich. My mother made that for me everyday when i woke up in Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa. It was just delicious. I had to change my ways later on in life and now i am a firm believer in DD's egg white flat bread samich. The master donut maker there Apeal is such a wonder that i am contimplating selling my famous franchise to open up my own DD on the southside of bingintin....they have needed one! Best wishes on your journey and hope your freeze dried mess is tolerable



Ronald Shiach
Ceo of Panera Bread

Dezmund said...

hey Paul,

I am a senior at Binghamton High school and my environmental science class is doing a project on your journey acrossed the atlantic, i took a special interest in this because my mother was diagnost with melanoma.

I truley respect what you are doing!

Good Luck!

Dezmund