Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sad to see her go...

Well, on Friday afternoon I watched a truck carry Liv away to the container port at St. John's, Antigua on the other side of the island. After a whirlwind of a morning arranging logistics, packing materials, carpentry help, and countless trips by water taxi across English Harbour between Nelson's Dockyard and Antigua Slipway, we had her loaded, braced, and ready to go by 2PM or so.


As the truck was winding its way up the hill one of the dockyard workers caught me apparently watching her disappear into the trees. I've become incredibly attached to her over the last year and particularly over the last few months -- no surprise given that she literally kept me alive for 88 days on one of the most unforgiving environments on earth. She'll be shipped back to New York on a container ship leaving Antigua next Friday and will arrive in New York twenty-one days later. She's due for a thorough cleaning but other than the watermaker needing servicing, she's in fantastic shape thanks in large part to her builder Aquidneck Custom (Bristol, RI).


I had an incredible welcome here in Antigua but can't wait to see everyone back home too, and am looking forward to my first night's sleep in my own bed - something I dreamed about a lot while on the ocean.


I'll keep you all updated on the event schedule that is coming together now. There are events in the works in both CT and upstate NY, and I'll be accepting invitations for other appearances as well. If you're interested in having me meet with your school, club, church, or other organization, please send an email to my sister Joy, at joy@rowforhope.com. I'm based in Stamford, CT, but am willing to travel as my schedule allows.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A Challenge to the Rowing Community

Do you row? Have you rowed? Do you know someone who rows? If so, here's a special challenge to you!

Taking inspiration from Paul Ridley's incredible solo row across the Atlantic, Bob Glendening has generously offered to match all new donations to www.rowforhope.com from members of the rowing community. His generosity also stems from his family's devotion to rowing and its personal experience with cancer. The Glendening Boat House at Colgate was given by the family in 2004 in memory of his mother, who lost her battle with cancer in 2000.

So if you row and you want to show your support for a fellow rower who's crossing the Atlantic solo and unsupported, please consider an online donation to www.rowforhope.com.

Please be sure to add "Glendening Challenge" when completing the Gift Information section online at www.rowforhope.com.

Paul

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll let you know how your bed feels!! haha. Safe trip back home man.

Be pumped you missed winter!

MAYE

Aunt Jane said...

I love it when people I haven't seen in a while ask me what's new, so I can launch into my story about your fantastic, wonderful voyage! Can't wait to see you!! Practice your polka steps...

Love, Aunt Jane

Seshat said...

Paul -
On a very long road trip cross country by myself many years ago - I remember kissing my steeringwheel daily - the car - "Daffodil" - (go ahead and laugh but it was a very yellow 850 Fiat Spider so aptly named in my mind, at least) -

Parting with Liv is parting with a part of yourself - and your journey -

But what a REAL memory it will be....and such a part of who you will be from now on....

Thankfully!!!!!
Nancy

Wild Bill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Ridley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Ridley said...

[The previous two comments, which had earlier (now erroneous) info, have been deleted.]

Correction: Paul will be appearing on the CBS Early Show this Thursday, April 9. He's been asked to be there by 7 AM, so he'll probably be on some time during that 7-8 hour. Tell your friends!

Anonymous said...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mark said...

I am trying to find an email address for Paul Ridley.

I am a fellow American and interested in asking him some questions about his boat and the experience as I plan for my own ocean row.

You can contact me at farnsworth2008@gmail.com