Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 42

Shorter update today, as it's been a draining day on the oars. Sleep last night was pretty terrible, even by ocean rowboat standards and I was a little dehydrated today, which took a little energy out of me. It must be a result of the warmer weather I'm getting now that I'm 600 (or more?) miles south of where I started. Anyway, nothing serious, and I should be back to normal tomorrow, I hope.


Winds weren't great today either, coming from the NW and blowing me SW, which would have been great a month ago but is frustrating now, because I pretty much just need to go West from here. The boat felt slow enough this morning that I spent a good part of the shift cursing the barnacles which must have built up underneath, meaning I should get in and scrape again. At the end of the AM shift I reached under there as far as I could and all was clear, which meant I wouldn't have to scrape, but also that the boat would stay slow for the evening shift, too. Arggg...


I saw a school of fish around the boat today, numbering at least a couple dozen. They were maybe 12 inches in length, half of them grayish with lighter spots and the other half light blue with lighter spots. Interestingly, all had fins both on top and underneath (closer to the tail) that seemed to move side to side, whereas on most fish I've seen they stay straight. Weird...


That's all for now, and thanks again for the continued support! Reading your comments is still the highlight of every day.


Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit www.rowforhope.com.


Paul

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

And reading your blog is the highlight of my day!

Anonymous said...

I obsessively check your blog and GPS, could get me fired..........

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
I am glad you are winning the mental battle and not letting yourself call it quits. We are all rooting for you and keeping you in our prayers. I know you can do this because are a strong person and you are determined to do this in your mom's honor. When you have those hard times just remember that she is watching you every minute that you are rowing and her spirit will keep you going. Robert is also up there watching and cheering you on as well. Take care and keep up the hard work and positive attitude. I look forward to seeing you at Easter. Love, Marlene

Anonymous said...

Paul,

You'll never know how many people you are touching!! A lot of use really look forward to reading your progress, your hardships (which we can pray for) your daily routine keeps us breathless. It's something we can only dream of, but we get to live it a little through you. The mental thing is a whole new story!! But you are working that day by day.

I hope you can get some night shots with the moon and stars?? I try and picture that but I don't think I can do it justice.

Keep up the great work and I will have a NYS row4hope license plate for you.

Take Care & God Bless

Phil & Margo Roberts

Blonde Saffron said...

I love your blog as well. I daydream about what you might be doing when I should be doing my work!

You are an inspiration. I would LOVE to be doing what you are doing right now!

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I keep spreading the word about your journey, the cause, and your mission.

Stay strong, good luck, and godspeed.

Wild Bill
a/k/a "fishnwilly"

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy - Every day is progress - think of them as ok days, good days, and better days. But none are bad days. Every day you are out there you are closer to accomplishing your goal. Don't fight the wind - you can't tame that or the ocean. Let it provide you with whatever progress it chooses and it will let you correct the direction in good time. Attend to your physical health - hydrate!!! Head in the game, ass in the boat - xxoo

JoAnn said...

Hey Paul - LISTEN to your buddy K-Rock's comment! Ditto from me. You're the best Paul! Oh, and those grayish lighter spot fish and half lightblue w/lighter spot fish... I think those are BARNACLE eaters! :) Keep up the great work and I'm thinking a new beard picture is due! My prayers are with you Paul! Jo@GA

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Charlie got us all set up to keep an eye on you! We are pulling for you. Keep your head up! Have a safe trip.
Mr.& Mrs. Jenkins

Unknown said...

Hey Paul!
I had a Panera breakfast sandwich in your honor the other day. No worries, there was no emergency run to the bathroom ha. Your favorite story about my time at GA, I know.
Anyways, I, too, am checking in around the time you usually post every day. I am a religious reader and hang it up outside my cube every day for people to read the update. I was talking to Katy at your goodbye party and we were discussing how most people only hear of someone doing what you are doing...but we know you and are so proud of you! Keep it up, row hard, get to Antigua soon because I'm ready for a warm vacation as I'm sure you are, too!

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like I'm at a frat party... DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!!! If you aren't drinking as you are reading these comments, DRINK NOW!! After that, pump more water... then drink it.

The more you row, the closer you get to coming home. The less you drink, the less energy you have to row.

We miss you around here!

- Denise at GA

Anonymous said...

Hello to Paul and his fans. Tomorow, Friday the '13, is very special to all from, related to or in any way connected to Colgate. It is 'GATE DAY because 13 is Colgate's favorite number. It would also be a great day for everyone to donate $13 (or multiples thereof) to
Row For Hope ... so hit that domate button!!!