Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 54

Tough day today, as heavy and shifting winds kept me fighting to keep on as westerly a course as possible while winds were blowing me almost directly south-west. The result was a good day in terms of mileage, but I expended massive amounts of effort and got regularly soaked in the process, which did anything but help to build morale.


Below is a picture taken at sunrise yesterday of a squall that passed to the south of me. Sights like this always make me get out the soap and shampoo in hopes of a fresh water shower, but I've yet to catch a one. With that said, I did take my first real "bath" of the trip yesterday, which was great. After the water maker issues that I had early in the trip (it's been fine for the last 30+ days), I had been hesitating to use much fresh water for hygiene, other than to wash "problem areas." Anyway, the shower was great, though I'm officially covered in salt again from head to toe after today's soakings. Can't wait for that first real shower in Antigua!!!



Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit www.rowforhope.com.


Paul

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "problem areas" update, haha. I'm currently at one of your favorite spots, the Greenwich library! A wise friend (Liz Barron) once told me, Keep ya head up playa!! Thinking of you lots!

Seshat said...

Paul -
I am overwhelmed with the magnitude of what you have accomplished and what you will succeed to accomplish – (and if it’s a day or more than your goal –no problem!)

You are a true light for those of us fighting cancer –

Much love and prayers –
Nancy and Marty Siefka

Anonymous said...

I am in Minnesota and following your travels across the Atlantic. My third graders have learned about blogs and they have created their own. I showed them yours and they were fascinated to read about you.

Safe travels til the end!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
It is past my bedtime but just wanted to say hello. I was at church tonight for our Monday "girls" group. We are reading The Shack." It is a really good book. I think your dad currently has my other copy but I haven't heard if he has read it yet. There are many of us who are encouraging him to read it.
Yesterday they were showing your progress and pictures. I hate to say it but I didn't think about it at the time - How did you take the picture of your hands - timer while holding it in your mouth? set it somewhere and used your elbow? I don't know why this is such an interesting question to me. Maybe it is because I should be in bed getting some sleep. Anyway, take care and keep your chin up! I am still pushing for the St Patrick's Day arrival on land! I did marry into the Irish. Love, Marlene

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Looks like you're nearing another milestone - a new time zone (45W). Every day when I check your position and read your blog, I'm in awe of what you have done and what you will accomplish. You are an inspiration and excellent example for all the young people who are keeping track of your progress and goal.

You're in my thoughts and prayers everyday! Keep up the great job and it won't be long now before you see land!!

A Friend of K-Rock

Unknown said...

Hey Paul,
Keep up the good work - so proud of you! I'm doing my best to spread the word and raise some money...not sure how much success I have had, but of course I will continue. Row hard, stay safe, and you'll be on dry land before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy - This is where we start getting really corny with the 'keep your chin up' messages. We have made much of your passing the 1/2 way milestone but must not minimize how much you still have to do. At this point I would expect that any 'bad' is easily hyped into 'horrible'. Stay on track mentally.You have been remarkable with your outlook and keeping your spirits up. Continue to concentrate on your routine and work to keep your strength up for rowing. Don't get tricked into looking past the current miles too soon.We know you are working hard and can do this - we're there with you. Mardi Gras today - I have it on good authority that the food bags labeled Week 9 and forward are a treasure trove of desserts - dig in!! xxoo -

Anonymous said...

Paul, I am really enjoying your updates! I check them often, here at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. I heard about your wonderful effort from a high school friend, Denise Scalzo. I passed this along to a bunch of my friends. You have a nun in Ireland praying for you too!
Mike
mmgisondi@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I am sure your 'welcoming committe' will GREATLY APPRECIATE if you use ALOT of water for a shower just PRIOR to your arrival ashore...

LMAO !!

Good luck, and Godspeed !

Wild Bill [the fish'n fool]