Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 45

Had my second best day in terms of mileage yesterday, which is great, and crossed 37W this morning. Forecast is for more weather like this through Tuesday, which means that I'll probably cross 40W on Wednesday of next week -- a huge milestone!


I've already written at length about my dislike of the freeze dried food, but I'm actually starting to get over it and enjoy most meals, with the exception of "Chicken with Rice," which I refuse to eat. Anyway, here's a look at my typical diet for one day:


Breakfast:
Granola with chocolate pudding and cheesecake mix


AM shift snacks:
freeze dried strawberries
British army biscuits
Package roasted almonds
energy bar


Lunch:
Macaroni and Cheese freeze dried dinner (double serving)
freeze dried ice cream sandwich (a rare treat)


PM shift snacks:
Snickers bar (king sized)
peanuts
Yorkie chocolate bar


Dinner:
Ramen noodles
Freeze dried lasagna w/meat sauce


Gatorade drank throughout the day mixed with my water at about half strength.


If the adding I did in my head this afternoon is correct, this puts me between 4,000 and 5,000 calories a day, which is far from the 6,000 to 8,000 that I think would be ideal. Even so, 5,000 is pretty good if I can actually get there. Interestingly enough, I was in the same range back home during my training, though of course I got there with much better tasting and less salty meals!


Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit www.rowforhope.com.


Paul

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

proud of yas on your journey thus far. Fantasy has started and your keepers are needed in two weeks. Pumped to hear you are eating mac and cheese...

Not to much is new in the world....just horsing around. Russels steakhouse was a tasty V day event.....

Watching the slam dunk contest

MAYE

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy - Ummm, ummmm good. I wonder if your freeze dried strawberries taste anything like the chocolate dipped ones we had for Valentines Day? Maybe just a little? The run down of daily diet gives me some good ideas for What Not Cook when I set up the HomeComing Spread. Everything changes when you get to that 40 mark - being on the back half of the trip is absolutely amazing. We are all pushing, pulling, wishing, praying for that 'down hill' part to start! We weasled a Row For Hope notice into the St.James church bulletin for this week - that's a whole lot of prayers coming your way and a hint for donations as well - xxoo-

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
I was just showing my 16 year old niece Kylie your website. She remembered hearing about your row when she came to church with me a few months ago. She wants to know if the food is cold when you eat it or if you are able to heat it up. She says cold lasagna would be disgusting. I had no answer to that question so I said we would ask you. I do agree that cold lasagna and mac and cheese would be gross. I actually can't think of even putting that in my mouth to tell you the truth.
We finally have sun in Binghamton but it is still cold, about 30 degrees. Continue to take care and remember only 1 earbud in at a time!! Love, Marlene

Mike said...

Paul, Keep on truckin! I love reading your blog buddy. Stay strong and be safe.

-Mike McCarthy