Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 65

Just as the light at the end of the tunnel started to glimmer, the weather forecast has sent the message loud and clear to not get excited just yet, as it seems that I'm in for a battle against the weather for at least the next week.

As I've described in the past, the trade winds in this part of the Atlantic at this time of year are generally predictable and stable coming from the East, which would help me make progress toward Antigua in the West. That's not always the case, however, as it seems I'm about to find out. As you can see from my track and current position, I've been getting blown gradually to the North West over the last several days, and am now around 17 deg 23 mins North (my destination is at 17N exactly). Normally I'd be able to make up these 23 miles easily with the wind coming from the East, but there are a couple storms forming well North of me that will be stirring things up down here and producing winds that seemingly will blow every direction but the one I want to go! Fortunately the storms should stay far enough North to not be dangerous, but they will still be a major headache thanks to their effect on the wind.

Anyway, today I got a taste of what's to come -- wind all afternoon and evening was coming from a South South-westerly direction. Though I've been told to try not to fight the wind too much, I have zero interest in going North-east, so I fought it as best I could and, including my "extra innings" of night rowing, I managed to make 28nm West during the day.

I'm preparing for several days that will really test my resolve, which should make for some interesting updates until the weather improves. Tomorrow I'll write about my first SHARK sighting, which came this afternoon! I think that I even have a picture of a fin sticking out of the water, but we'll see -- I haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit



Anonymous said...

Great job! Your doing great. Good luck for the rest of your jorney.

Anonymous said...

what a cliff hanger!! I'd be so scared to see a shark! it gives me chills thinking about it!

good luck with the winds! you can power through anything - you've already proved that.

be safe!

K-Rock and #1 Wild Bill said...

Hi Buddy - Yup, you've heard it all before - don't expend emotional and physical energy fighting the wind. Compromise is the way to go - row hard, then when you feel you're getting pushed around too much, set the anchor to hold you in place and sit it out. Rowing fewer hours may not be what you want right now, but you definitely do want productive hours. This is best thought of as the last phase of your amazing adventure - not quite the end. Through the last phase you still have to think smart and work hard - and maybe eat a little extra ice cream. The end will be when we can wade out and block the winds so they can't keep you from the docks! Soon - head in the game and ass in the boat - xxoo-

Anonymous said...

happy parade day bubba.....will order you a G&T ...contimplate leaving it or dumping it...but alas, will consume it proudly