Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 31

Good wind today on the eve of the Superbowl. It's been cloudy with spotty sunshine for the last few days and today was no exception. Rowed by one of the most spectacular rainbows I've ever seen at the beginning of the morning shift. The picture below doesn't do it justice in the least!


I'm also sending a picture of the seagull that visited yesterday. I think this is when he made an attempt to land on the solar panel that's on top of my forward cabin. This didn't go so well for him, as the solar panels are slippery, on an incline, get really hot in the sun, and are attached to a boat that is tossing and turning. For whatever reason, he didn't go for another landing, though I admit to wishing he did for my own entertainment.



On a less entertaining note, my foot steering went out again this morning. While before it had been jamming in the "all-the-way-to-port" position, this time the push-pull cable itself snapped, which will be tough to fix. I spent some time this morning rigging up a replacement pull-pull system using electrical wire (genius, I thought...), but it didn't hold. My backup hand steering still works fine, so I set the rudder straight and had a fine shift in the afternoon steering with just the oars, so I guess I'll do without the luxury of toe steering for a while, until I come up with a fix. No worries...


I'll be thinking of all of you at Superbowl parties tomorrow - feel free to pour out a sip of your favorite beverage and throw a slice of pizza on the floor for me!


Thanks to all who have supported this expedition and important research at Yale Cancer Center with a donation to Row for Hope. If you haven't donated, or if you would consider donating again, it would be much appreciated. To donate online use the link in the upper right-hand corner of this page or visit http://www.rowforhope.com/.


Paul

4 comments:

Chris McNickle said...

Paul,

Slow and steady wins the race.

Does your seagull have a name?

I will gladly follow your super bowl beverage instructions, but I am not going to waste a perfectly good slice of pizza by dropping it to the floor.

Keep on rowing.

Chris

Anonymous said...

now that is a seagull....should of brought some rice to throw at them! Don't try to feed them your food though..it is to yucky they won't even like it


beatrice

Anonymous said...

Paul/RedBeard,

Finally! I've been waiting for a picture post so by that measure this makes for a great entry. Your avian friend deserves a fine name (or rather a nom de plume? - har!) so I suggest "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" (double har!) as a moniker for your consideration.

-Piya

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy - Great pictures. A rainbow over the ocean is a magnificent sight! Thanks for sharing. I like that somebody is providing the occasional visitor to you by way of the fish, the petrel, the turtles, the seagull. All just reminding you that you're not alone. We can't just pop in and say high - but we are thinking of you more often than we can say. The Who Really Cares is today - halftime with Springsteen will be the highlight. I've heard that with the lousy economy, even commercial spending is down. Everybody but the experts are rooting for the Cardinals - everybody loves an underdog. 1,000 miles for you is more than we can wrap our heads around - just fabulous. Head in the game - ass in the boat - it's great.xxoo -